centripetal(redirected from centripetally)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to centripetally: centrifugally
1. Moving or directed toward a center or axis.
2. Operated by means of centripetal force.
3. Physiology Transmitting nerve impulses toward the central nervous system; afferent.
4. Botany Developing or progressing inward toward the center or axis, as in the head of a sunflower, in which the oldest flowers are near the edge and the youngest flowers are in the center.
5. Tending or directed toward centralization: the centripetal effects of a homogeneous population.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) acting, moving, or tending to move towards a centre. Compare centrifugal
2. (General Physics) of, concerned with, or operated by centripetal force
3. (Botany) botany (esp of certain inflorescences) developing from the outside towards the centre
4. (Physiology) physiol another word for afferent
[C17: from New Latin centripetus seeking the centre; see centri-, -petal]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
cen•trip•e•tal(sɛnˈtrɪp ɪ tl)
1. directed toward the center.
2. pertaining to or operated by centripetal force.
3. Physiol. afferent.
[1700–10; < New Latin centripet(us) center-seeking]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
See also related terms for pushing.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||centripetal - tending to move toward a center; "centripetal force"|
centrifugal - tending to move away from a center; "centrifugal force"
|2.||centripetal - tending to unify|
|3.||centripetal - of a nerve fiber or impulse originating outside and passing toward the central nervous system; "sensory neurons"|
afferent - of nerves and nerve impulses; conveying sensory information from the sense organs to the CNS; "afferent nerves"; "afferent impulses"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
centripetal[senˈtrɪpɪtl] ADJ → centrípeto
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
centripetal[sɛnˈtrɪpɪtl] adj (Phys) → centripeto/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a. centrípeto-a, con movimiento de atracción hacia el centro.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012