Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
any plant of the grass family yielding an edible grain such as wheat, oats, rice, corn, etc.; a food prepared from grain: Would you like hot or cold cereal for breakfast?
Not to be confused with:
serial – consisting of a series: serial monogamy; in installments: magazine serials
a. A grass such as wheat, oats, or corn, the starchy grains of which are used as food.
b. The grain of such a grass.
2. Any of several other plants or their edible seeds or fruit, such as buckwheat or certain species of amaranth.
3. A food prepared from any of these plants, especially a breakfast food made from commercially processed grain.
Consisting of or relating to grain or to a plant producing grain.
1. (Plants) any grass that produces an edible grain, such as oat, rye, wheat, rice, maize, sorghum, and millet
2. (Plants) the grain produced by such a plant
3. (Cookery) any food made from this grain, esp breakfast food
4. (Plants) (modifier) of or relating to any of these plants or their products: cereal farming.
[C19: from Latin cereālis concerning agriculture, of Ceres1]
ce•re•al(ˈsɪər i əl)
1. any plant of the grass family, as wheat, rye, oats, or corn, yielding an edible grain.
2. the grain itself.
3. some edible preparation of it, esp. a breakfast food.adj.
4. of or pertaining to grain or the plants producing it.
A grass, such as corn or wheat, whose starchy grains are used as food.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cereal - grass whose starchy grains are used as food: wheat; rice; rye; oats; maize; buckwheat; millet|
grass - narrow-leaved green herbage: grown as lawns; used as pasture for grazing animals; cut and dried as hay
oat - annual grass of Europe and North Africa; grains used as food and fodder (referred to primarily in the plural: `oats')
barley - cultivated since prehistoric times; grown for forage and grain
rice - annual or perennial rhizomatous marsh grasses; seed used for food; straw used for paper
bulrush millet, cattail millet, pearl millet, Pennisetum Americanum, Pennisetum glaucum - tall grass having cattail like spikes; grown in Africa and Asia for its grain and in the United States chiefly for forage; sometimes used in making beer
Secale cereale, rye - hardy annual cereal grass widely cultivated in northern Europe where its grain is the chief ingredient of black bread and in North America for forage and soil improvement
millet - any of various small-grained annual cereal and forage grasses of the genera Panicum, Echinochloa, Setaria, Sorghum, and Eleusine
grain - a cereal grass; "wheat is a grain that is grown in Kansas"
wheat - annual or biennial grass having erect flower spikes and light brown grains
corn, Indian corn, maize, Zea mays - tall annual cereal grass bearing kernels on large ears: widely cultivated in America in many varieties; the principal cereal in Mexico and Central and South America since pre-Columbian times
corn - (Great Britain) any of various cereal plants (especially the dominant crop of the region--wheat in Great Britain or oats in Scotland and Ireland)
|2.||cereal - foodstuff prepared from the starchy grains of cereal grasses|
grist - grain intended to be or that has been ground
groats - the hulled and crushed grain of various cereals
millet - small seed of any of various annual cereal grasses especially Setaria italica
buckwheat - grain ground into flour
wheat, wheat berry - grains of common wheat; sometimes cooked whole or cracked as cereal; usually ground into flour
oat - seed of the annual grass Avena sativa (spoken of primarily in the plural as `oats')
rice - grains used as food either unpolished or more often polished
malt - a cereal grain (usually barley) that is kiln-dried after having been germinated by soaking in water; used especially in brewing and distilling
|3.||cereal - a breakfast food prepared from grain|
breakfast food - any food (especially cereal) usually served for breakfast
Pablum - a soft form of cereal for infants
hot cereal - a cereal that is served hot
|Adj.||1.||cereal - made of grain or relating to grain or the plants that produce it; "a cereal beverage"; "cereal grasses"|
cerealsee rice and other cereals
cereálieobilíobilninasnídaně z obilovin
raňajky z obilnín
1. a kind of grain used as food. Wheat and barley are cereals; (also adjective) cereal crops. graan حُبوبُ القَمِح أو الشَّعير житно растение cereal obilí die Getreidearten (pl.) kornsort; korn- δημητριακόcereal teravili بنشن viljakasvi céréale; céréalier דְגָנִים अन्न, अनाज का पौधा žitarica gabonanemű biji-bijian korn cereale 穀類 곡초 grūdai, javai labības augi; graudaugi; labības-; graudaugu- bijirin graankornzboże دانې يا حبوبات: غله cereal de cereale) хлебный злак obilie žitarica; žiten žitarice spannmål, brödsäd ธัญพืช tahıl, hububat 穀類 хлібні злаки غلہ ، اناج ngũ cốc 谷类
2. a type of breakfast food prepared from such grain. ontbytgraan, graankos طَعامُ فُطورٍ مِنَ الحُبوب: عَصيده зърнена закуска cereal snídaně z obilovin das Müsli morgenmadsprodukt πρωινό με δημητριακά cereales (teravilja)helbed صبحانه ای که از حبوبات درست شده باشد aamiasmurot céréales דַייסַת דְגָנִים अनाज žitne pahuljice reggeli étel makanan pagi terbuat dari biji-bijian kornmeti (kornflögur) cereali コーンフレーク (など) 곡물식 dribsniai, javainiai putra bijirin sarapan graanproduct frokostblanding, kornblanding płatki na mleku ناری cereal cereale изделия из дроблёного зерна raňajky z obilnín žitni kosmiči žitarice flingor, müsli อาหารเช้าที่ทำจากธัญพืช tahıl kahvaltısı 早餐吃的穀類食品 каша اناج یا دلیے کا ناشتہ đồ ăn từ ngũ cốc 谷类制成的早餐