intumescence(redirected from cervical intumescence)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The act or process of swelling or the condition of being swollen.
2. A swollen organ or body part.
1. (Pathology) pathol a swelling up, as with blood or other fluid
2. (Pathology) pathol a swollen organ or part
3. (Chemistry) chem the swelling of certain substances on heating, often accompanied by the escape of water vapour
in•tu•mes•cence(ˌɪn tʊˈmɛs əns, -tyʊ-)
1. a swelling up, as with congestion.
2. a swollen mass.
[1650–60; < French]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||intumescence - swelling up with blood or other fluids (as with congestion)|
|2.||intumescence - the increase in volume of certain substances when they are heated (often accompanied by release of water)|