chandler(redirected from chandlers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. One that makes or sells candles.
2. A dealer in nautical supplies.
[Middle English chaundeler, from Old French chandelier, from Vulgar Latin *candēlārius, from Latin candēla, candle; see candle.]
chan′dler·y (chănd′lə-rē) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Commerce) a dealer in a specified trade or merchandise: corn chandler; ship's chandler.
2. (Crafts) a person who makes or sells candles
3. (Commerce) obsolete Brit a retailer of grocery provisions; shopkeeper
[C14: from Old French chandelier one who makes or deals in candles, from chandelle candle]
(Biography) Raymond (Thornton). 1888–1959, US thriller writer: created Philip Marlowe, one of the first detective heroes in fiction
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
chan•dler(ˈtʃænd lər, ˈtʃɑnd-)
1. a person who makes or sells items of tallow or wax, as candles or soap.
2. a dealer or trader in supplies, esp. of a specialized type: a ship chandler.
[1275–1325; Middle English chandeler candlestick, candle maker < Anglo-French, Old French chandelier]
Chan•dler(ˈtʃænd lər, ˈtʃɑnd-)
1. Raymond (Thornton), 1888–1959, U.S. writer of detective novels, born in England.
2. a town in central Arizona. 142,918.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Chandler - United States writer of detective thrillers featuring the character of Philip Marlowe (1888-1959)|
|2.||chandler - a retail dealer in provisions and supplies|
ship's chandler - a dealer in sails and ropes and other supplies for sailing ships
|3.||chandler - a maker (and seller) of candles and soap and oils and paints|
candlemaker - a person who makes or sells candles
wax-chandler - one who deals in wax candles
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
chandler[ˈtʃɑːndləʳ] N → velero m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (for candles) → Kerzenmacher m; (= shop) → Kerzenladen m; ship’s chandler → Schiffsausrüster m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007