Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to chaplet: Chaplet of Divine Mercy
1. A wreath or garland for the head.
2. Roman Catholic Church
a. A string of beads resembling a rosary, used to count iterations in a devotional sequence of prayers.
b. The sequence of prayers counted on such a string of beads.
3. A string of beads.
4. Architecture A small molding carved to resemble a string of beads.
[Middle English chapelet, from Old French, diminutive of chapel, hat, wreath; see chapeau.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) an ornamental wreath of flowers, beads, etc, worn on the head
2. (Jewellery) a string of beads or something similar
3. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church
a. a string of prayer beads constituting one third of the rosary
b. the prayers counted on this string
4. (Architecture) a narrow convex moulding in the form of a string of beads; astragal
5. (Metallurgy) a metal support for the core in a casting mould, esp for the core of a cylindrical pipe
[C14: from Old French chapelet garland of roses, from chapel hat; see chapeau]
1. a wreath or garland for the head.
2. a string of beads.
a. a string of beads, one-third of the length of a rosary, for counting prayers.
b. the prayers recited over such beads.
4. a small molding carved to resemble a string of beads; astragal.
Chapleta string of beads or a garland, or something that resembles it; a rosary, hence, the prayers recited over it.
Examples: chaplet of beads, 1653; of domestic affections, 1827; of flowers, 1590; of olive leaves, 1839; of prayers; of precious stones, 1450; of roses, 1711; of sharp nettles, 1480; of toad’s eggs, 1835; of laurel, 1691; of rue, 1864.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chaplet - flower arrangement consisting of a circular band of foliage or flowers for ornamental purposes|
crown - a wreath or garland worn on the head to signify victory