Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Sausages, ham, pâtés, and other cooked or processed meat foods.
2. A delicatessen specializing in such foods.
[French, from chaircuicterie : chair, meat (from Latin carō, flesh; see carnage) + cuict, cuit, cooked (from Latin coctus, past participle of coquere; see cook).]
1. (Cookery) cooked cold meats
2. (Commerce) a shop selling cooked cold meats
char•cu•te•rie(ʃɑrˌku təˈri, ʃɑrˈku tə ri)
1. a store where pork products, as hams, sausages, and pâtés, are sold.
2. the items sold in such a store.
[1855–60; < French; Middle French chaircuterie=chaircut(ier) pork butcher (chair flesh (Old French char(n), cher < Latin carō) + cuite cooked]