Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to chartered: Chartered engineer, Chartered Institute of Marketing, Chartered Accountants, Chartered Secretary
1. A document issued by a sovereign, legislature, or other authority, creating a public or private corporation, such as a city, college, or bank, and defining its privileges and purposes.
2. A written grant from the sovereign power of a country conferring certain rights and privileges on a person, a corporation, or the people: A royal charter exempted the Massachusetts colony from direct interference by the Crown.
3. A document outlining the principles, functions, and organization of a corporate body; a constitution: the city charter.
4. An authorization from a central organization to establish a local branch or chapter.
5. Special privilege or immunity.
a. A contract for the commercial leasing of a vessel or space on a vessel.
b. The hiring or leasing of an aircraft, vessel, or other vehicle, especially for the exclusive, temporary use of a group of travelers.
7. A written instrument given as evidence of agreement, transfer, or contract; a deed.
Of, relating to, or being an arrangement in which transportation is leased by a group of travelers for their exclusive, temporary use.
tr.v. char·tered, char·ter·ing, char·ters
1. To grant a charter to; establish by charter.
2. To hire or lease by charter: charter an oil tanker.
3. To hire (a bus or airplane, for example) for the exclusive, temporary use of a group of travelers.
[Middle English chartre, from Old French, from Latin chartula, diminutive of charta, paper made from papyrus; see card1.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Professions) (of a professional person) having attained certain professional qualifications or standards and acquired membership of a particular professional body
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
chartered[ˈtʃɑːtəd] ADJ [surveyor] → colegiado; [librarian] → diplomado (con un mínimo de dos años de experiencia); [company] → legalmente constituido
chartered accountant (Brit, Canada) → censor(a) m/f jurado/a de cuentas, contador(a) m/f público/a (LAm)
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005