Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to chassis: automobile chassis
n. pl. chas·sis (-ēz)
1. The rectangular, usually steel frame, supported on springs and attached to the axles, that holds the body and motor of an automotive vehicle.
2. The landing gear of an aircraft, including the wheels, skids, floats, and other structures that support the aircraft on land or water.
3. The frame on which a gun carriage moves forward and backward.
4. The framework to which the components of a radio, television, or other electronic devices are attached.
[French châssis, frame, from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *capsīcium, from Latin capsa, box.]
n, pl -sis (-sɪz)
1. (Automotive Engineering) the steel frame, wheels, engine, and mechanical parts of a motor vehicle, to which the body is attached
2. (Electronics) electronics a mounting for the circuit components of an electrical or electronic device, such as a radio or television
3. (Aeronautics) the landing gear of an aircraft
4. (Building) obsolete a wooden framework for a window, screen, etc
5. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) the frame on which a cannon carriage moves backwards and forwards
6. slang the body of a person, esp a woman
[C17 (meaning: window frame): from French châssis frame, from Vulgar Latin capsicum (unattested), ultimately from Latin capsa case2]
chas•sis(ˈtʃæs i, -ɪs, ˈʃæs i)
n., pl. chas•sis (ˈtʃæs iz, ˈʃæs-)
1. the frame, wheels, and machinery of a motor vehicle, on which the body is supported.
2. the framework on which a gun carriage moves backward and forward.
3. the main landing gear of an aircraft.
4. a frame for mounting the circuit components of a radio or television set.
[1655–65; < French châssis frame; akin to chase2]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chassis - alternative names for the body of a human being; "Leonardo studied the human body"; "he has a strong physique"; "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"|
bod, human body, material body, physical body, physique, build, figure, flesh, anatomy, frame, shape, soma, form
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
human, human being, man - any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage
body, organic structure, physical structure - the entire structure of an organism (an animal, plant, or human being); "he felt as if his whole body were on fire"
person - a human body (usually including the clothing); "a weapon was hidden on his person"
juvenile body - the body of a young person
adult body - the body of an adult human being
male body - the body of a male human being
female body - the body of a female human being
|2.||chassis - a metal mounting for the circuit components of an electronic device|
mounting - framework used for support or display
radio chassis - a chassis for a radio receiver
|3.||chassis - the skeleton of a motor vehicle consisting of a steel frame supported on springs that holds the body and motor|
chassis[ˈʃæsi ˈʃæsiz] n → châssis m
chassis[ˈʃæsɪ] n (Aut) → telaio
chassis(ˈʃӕsi) – plural ˈchassis (-z) – noun
the frame of a motor car etc. onderstel هَيْكَل (سَيّارَه) техн. шаци chassis podvozek, šasi das Fahrgestell understel; chassis σασίchasis šassii شاسی runko châssis שאסי, שלדה नीचे की चौकी, ढांचा podvozje, šasija alváz kerangka undirvagn telaio 車台 차대 šasi, važiuoklė šasija cesi onderstelunderstellrama, podwozie شاسی chassis şasiu шасси šasi šasija šasija chassi โครงรถยนต์ şase (汽車等的)底盤 шасі موٹر گاڑی کا ڈھانچا khung gầm （汽车等的）底盘