Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Having chelae or resembling a chela.
A chemical compound in the form of a heterocyclic ring, containing a metal ion attached by coordinate bonds to at least two nonmetal ions.
tr.v. che·lat·ed, che·lat·ing, che·lates
1. Chemistry To combine (a metal ion) with a chemical compound to form a ring.
2. Medicine To remove (a heavy metal, such as lead or mercury) from the bloodstream by means of a chelate, such as EDTA.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Chemistry) chem a coordination compound in which a metal atom or ion is bound to a ligand at two or more points on the ligand, so as to form a heterocyclic ring containing a metal atom
1. (Zoology) zoology of or possessing chelae
2. (Chemistry) chem of or denoting a chelate
(Chemistry) (intr) chem to form a chelate
[C20: from chela1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
adj., n., v. -lat•ed, -lat•ing. adj.
1. of or noting a heterocyclic compound having a central metallic ion attached by covalent bonds to two or more nonmetallic atoms in the same molecule.
2. having a chela or chelae.n.
3. a chelate compound.v.i.
4. (of a heterocyclic compound) to form a chelate in a reaction.v.t.
5. to combine (an organic compound) with a metallic ion to form a chelate.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: chelated
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chelate - a heterocyclic compound having a metal ion attached by coordinate bonds to at least two nonmetal ions|
|Verb||1.||chelate - form a chelate, in chemistry|
|Adj.||1.||chelate - relating to or characterized by chelation|
|2.||chelate - having or resembling chelae or claws|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.