chockablock(redirected from chockablockly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
chock-a-blockor chock·a·block (chŏk′ə-blŏk′)
1. Squeezed together; jammed: The cheering fans were chock-a-block in the stands.
2. Completely filled; stuffed: "I recommend the north shore chowder, chockablock with pieces of seasonal fish" (Charles Monaghan).
3. Nautical Drawn so close as to have the blocks touching. Used of a ship's hoisting tackle.
Chock: a hall that was chock-a-block full.
or chock-a-block(ˈtʃɒk əˈblɒk)
1. extremely full; crowded; jammed.
2. Naut. having the blocks drawn close together, as when the tackle is hauled to the utmost.adv.
3. in a crowded way; closely; tightly.
[1835–40; compare chock close (up to)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||chockablock - packed full to capacity; "chowder chockablock with pieces of fish"|
full - containing as much or as many as is possible or normal; "a full glass"; "a sky full of stars"; "a full life"; "the auditorium was full to overflowing"