Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
?Note: This page may contain content that is offensive or inappropriate for some readers.
n. pl. cho·los Often Offensive
1. A young, usually working-class Mexican-American man, especially one belonging to a subculture that often includes membership in a neighborhood gang.
2. In parts of Latin America, a person of indigenous American or mestizo heritage.
[American Spanish : originally a derogatory word for a person of African and indigenous American ancestry, perhaps from a word in a pre-Columbian Antillean language meaning dog.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -los
1. (Peoples) a person who is descended from both European and Native American parents
2. (Peoples) US a disparaging term for a lower-class person of Mexican descent
3. (Peoples) US a tough or thug-like person of Mexican descent
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -los.
(esp. among Mexican-Americans) a teenage boy in a street gang.
[1970–75, Amer.; < Mex Sp: peasant]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.