Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. chub or chubs
1. Any of various usually stout-bodied freshwater fishes of the family Cyprinidae, especially a Eurasian species, Leuciscus cephalus.
2. Any of various other fishes, such as several freshwater whitefishes of the genus Coregonus or various marine fishes of the family Kyphosidae.
[Middle English chubbe.]
A hermetically sealed plastic tube used for packaging products such as ground meat or caulk.
[Perhaps back-formation from chubby.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl chub or chubs
1. (Animals) a common European freshwater cyprinid game fish, Leuciscus (or Squalius) cephalus, having a cylindrical dark greenish body
2. (Animals) any of various North American fishes, esp certain whitefishes and minnows
[C15: of unknown origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. (esp. collectively) chub, (esp. for kinds or species) chubs.
1. a European freshwater cyprinid fish, Leuciscus cephalus, having a thick body.
2. any of various related fishes.
3. any of several unrelated American fishes, esp. the tautog and whitefishes of the genus Coregonus, of the Great Lakes.
[1400–50; late Middle English chubbe]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chub - European freshwater game fish with a thick spindle-shaped body|
cyprinid, cyprinid fish - soft-finned mainly freshwater fishes typically having toothless jaws and cycloid scales
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
chub[tʃʌb] N (chub or chubs (pl)) → cacho m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n pl <-> → Döbel m, → Aitel m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
chub[tʃʌb] n → cavedano
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995