Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A vessel or device in which cream or milk is agitated to separate the oily globules from the caseous and serous parts, used to make butter.
2. Turbulence or agitation: "the violent churn of a long waterfall" (Catherine Reid).
v. churned, churn·ing, churns
a. To agitate or stir (milk or cream) in order to make butter.
b. To make by the agitation of milk or cream: churn butter.
2. To agitate vigorously or turn over repeatedly: wind churning up the piles of leaves. See Synonyms at agitate.
3. To buy and sell (a client's securities) frequently, especially in order to generate commissions.
1. To make butter by operating a device that agitates cream or milk.
2. To be turbulent or agitated: waves churning in the storm; so angry it made my stomach churn.
3. To move by agitating water or by means of a pumping action: The boat churned through the narrows.
To produce in an abundant and regular manner: churns out four novels a year.
[Middle English chirne, from Old English cyrn, cyrin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. Brit a large container for milk
2. (Agriculture) a vessel or machine in which cream or whole milk is vigorously agitated to produce butter
3. any similar device
4. the number of customers who switch from one supplier to another
a. to stir or agitate (milk or cream) in order to make butter
b. to make (butter) by this process
6. (sometimes foll by up) to move or cause to move with agitation: ideas churned in his head.
7. (Insurance) (of a bank, broker, etc) to encourage an investor or policyholder to change investments, endowment policies, etc, to increase commissions at the client's expense
8. (Banking & Finance) (of a bank, broker, etc) to encourage an investor or policyholder to change investments, endowment policies, etc, to increase commissions at the client's expense
9. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (of a government) to pay benefits to a wide category of people and claw it back by taxation from the well off
10. (Broadcasting) to promote the turnover of existing subscribers leasing, and new subscribers joining, a cable television system or mobile phone company
[Old English ciern; related to Old Norse kjarni, Middle Low German kerne churn, German dialect Kern cream]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a container or machine in which cream or milk is agitated to make butter.
2. any of various similar machines, as for mixing beverages.v.t.
3. to agitate in order to make into butter: to churn cream.
4. to make (butter) by the agitation of cream.
5. to shake or agitate: The storm churned the sea.
6. (of a stockbroker) to trade (a customer's securities) excessively in order to earn more in commissions.v.i.
7. to operate a churn.
8. to move or shake in agitation.
9. churn out, to produce mechanically and in abundance.
[before 1000; Middle English chirne (n.), Old English cyrne cyr(i)n; c. Middle Low German kerne, Old Norse kjarni, kirna]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: churned
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||churn - a vessel in which cream is agitated to separate butterfat from buttermilk|
vessel - an object used as a container (especially for liquids)
|Verb||1.||churn - stir (cream) vigorously in order to make butter|
cookery, cooking, preparation - the act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat; "cooking can be a great art"; "people are needed who have experience in cookery"; "he left the preparation of meals to his wife"
stir - move an implement through; "stir the soup"; "stir my drink"; "stir the soil"
|2.||churn - be agitated; "the sea was churning in the storm"|
move - move so as to change position, perform a nontranslational motion; "He moved his hand slightly to the right"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. stir up, beat, disturb, swirl, agitate The powerful thrust of the boat's engine churned the water.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
عُلْبَةُ حَليب كَبيرَهمِمْخَضَةُ الزُّبْدَه
konev na mlékomáselnice
ķērneliela piena kanna
kanva na mliekomaselnica
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(for butter) → baratte f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. a machine for making butter. karring مِمْخَضَةُ الزُّبْدَه машина за биене на масло batedeira máselnice das Butterfaß kærne μηχανή παρασκευής βούτυρου mantequera koorekirn دستگاه کره گیر kirnu baratte מַחבֶצָה मथने की नाद, मटकी stepka, stap, bućkalica köpű mesin keju strokkur zangola かく乳器 교유기 muštuvis ķērne penggodak karnkjerne maselnica مټۍ، غړكه، مندونى batedeira aparat de bătut untul маслобойка maselnica pinja bućkalica [smör]kärna เครื่องทำเนย yayık (製作奶油的)攪乳器 маслобійка مکھن بنانے والی مشین thùng đánh kem làm bơ 搅乳器
2. a large milk can. melkkan عُلْبَةُ حَليب كَبيرَه голяма кана с мляко leiteira konev na mléko die Milchkanne (mælke-)junge καρδάραlechera piimapütt ظرف فلزی بزرگ برای حمل شیر maitotonkka bidon כָּד חָלַב גָדוֹל दूध का एक बड़ा बरतन velika kanta (za mlijeko) köpű kaleng susu mjólkurbrúsi bidone del latte 牛乳かん 큰 우유통 bidonas liela piena kanna tin susu besar melkbusmelkespannbańka, kania ظرف شیر leiteira большой молочный бидон kanva na mlieko golida kanta za mleko mjölkkanna, -flaska กระป๋องนมขนาดใหญ่ süt güğümü 大的盛奶罐 бідон دودھ کا بڑا برتن thùng đựng sữa 大的盛奶罐
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.