sill(redirected from cills)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
a. A horizontal member that bears the upright portion of a frame.
b. A windowsill.
2. Geology A sheet of igneous rock formed by the intrusion of magma between existing strata.
[Middle English sille, from Old English syll, threshold.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Architecture) a shelf at the bottom of a window inside a room
2. (Architecture) a horizontal piece along the outside lower member of a window, that throws water clear of the wall below
3. (Architecture) the lower horizontal member of a window or door frame
4. (Architecture) a continuous horizontal member placed on top of a foundation wall in order to carry a timber framework
5. (Geological Science) a flat usually horizontal mass of igneous rock, situated between two layers of older sedimentary rock, that was formed by an intrusion of magma
[Old English syll; related to Old Norse svill sill, Icelandic svoli tree trunk, Old High German swella sill, Latin solum ground]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a horizontal piece or member beneath a window, door, or other opening.
2. a horizontal timber, block, or the like, serving as a foundation of a wall, house, etc.
3. a tabular body of intrusive igneous rock, ordinarily between beds of sedimentary rocks or layers of volcanic ejecta.
[before 900; Middle English sille, Old English syl, sylle, c. Middle Low German, Middle Dutch sulle]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An approximately horizontal sheet of igneous rock located between layers of older rock.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A horizontal sheet of igneous rock intruded between sedimentary rock layers.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sill - structural member consisting of a continuous horizontal timber forming the lowest member of a framework or supporting structure|
doorsill, doorstep, threshold - the sill of a door; a horizontal piece of wood or stone that forms the bottom of a doorway and offers support when passing through a doorway
structural member - support that is a constituent part of any structure or building
windowsill - the sill of a window; the horizontal member at the bottom of the window frame
|2.||sill - (geology) a flat (usually horizontal) mass of igneous rock between two layers of older sedimentary rock|
geology - a science that deals with the history of the earth as recorded in rocks
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a ledge of wood, stone etc at the foot of an opening, such as a window or a door. The windows of the old house were loose, and the sills were crumbling. drumpel, bank عَتَبَه، أُسْكُفَّه праг peitoril parapet die Türschw elle, das Fensterbrett karm περβάζιalféizar, umbral aknalaud, lävi پايه ikkunalauta rebord אֶדֶן חַלוֹן देहली, दहलीज prag, daska prozora ablakpárkány kusen (glugga)sylla; þröskuldur davanzale; soglia しきい 문지방 palangė palodze ambang tingkap drempel, vensterbanksvill; vinduskarm; dørterskelparapet, próg درشل، درشاهي peitoril pervaz подоконник; порог parapet, prah prag, (okenska) polica sims fönsterbräde, syll, grundstock ธรณีประตูหรือหน้าต่าง eşik 窗臺，門檻 поріг; підвіконня سل، سلی ، پتھر ngưỡng cửa 窗台，门槛
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.