aspect ratio(redirected from cinema format)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. The width-to-height ratio of an image or of the area used to display an image. Most widescreen televisions have an aspect ratio of 16:9.
2. The span-to-mean-chord ratio of an airfoil.
1. (Electronics) the ratio of width to height of the picture on a television or cinema screen
2. (Aeronautics) aeronautics the ratio of the span of a wing to its mean chord
1. the ratio of the span of an airfoil to its mean chord.
2. the ratio of the width of a televised or computer-screen image to its height.