Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to cis-: 11-cis-retinal
cis-(word root) near, on the near side of
Examples of words with the root cis-: cisatlantic
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. On this side: cisatlantic.
2. Having a pair of identical atoms or groups on the same side of a plane that passes through two carbon atoms linked by a double bond. Used of a geometric isomer: cis-2-butene.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physical Geography) on this or the near side of: cisalpine.
2. (Chemistry) (often in italics) indicating that two groups of atoms in an unsaturated compound lie on the same side of a double bond: cis-butadiene. Compare trans-5
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a prefix occurring in words meaning “on this side of” or “a place on this side of” the thing or place specified by the base word: cisatlantic; cislunar.
2. a prefix used in the names of chemical compounds that are geometric isomers having two identical atoms or groups attached on the same side of a molecule divided by a given plane of symmetry. Compare trans- (def. 2).
[< Latin; akin to here]
Commonwealth of Independent States.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.