Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to citron: Citron melon
a. A thorny evergreen shrub or small tree (Citrus medica) native to India and widely cultivated for its large lemonlike fruits that have a thick warty rind.
b. The fruit of this plant, whose rind is often candied and used in confections and fruitcakes.
2. A globose watermelon (Citrullus lanatus var. citroides) having white flesh that is candied or pickled.
3. A grayish-green yellow.
[Middle English, from Old French, alteration (influenced by limon, lemon) of Latin (mālum) citreum, citron (fruit), from citrus, citron tree.]
1. (Plants) a small Asian rutaceous tree, Citrus medica, having lemon-like fruit with a thick aromatic rind. See also citron wood
2. (Plants) the fruit of this tree
3. (Plants) Also called: citron melon a variety of watermelon, Citrullus vulgaris citroides, that has an inedible fruit with a hard rind
4. (Cookery) the rind of either of these fruits, candied and used for decoration and flavouring of foods
5. (Colours) a greenish-yellow colour
[C16: from Old French, from Old Provençal, from Latin citrus citrus tree]
1. a pale yellow fruit resembling the lemon but larger and with thicker rind borne by a small tree, Citrus medica, allied to the lemon and lime.
2. the tree itself.
3. the rind of the fruit candied and preserved.
[1375–1425; late Middle English < Middle French < Italian citrone < Latin citr(us) citrus + Italian -one augmentative suffix]
See also related terms for lemon.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||citron - large lemonlike fruit with thick aromatic rind; usually preserved|
citrous fruit, citrus, citrus fruit - any of numerous fruits of the genus Citrus having thick rind and juicy pulp; grown in warm regions
|2.||citron - thorny evergreen small tree or shrub of India widely cultivated for its large lemonlike fruits that have thick warty rind|
citron - large lemonlike fruit with thick aromatic rind; usually preserved
citrus tree, citrus - any of numerous tropical usually thorny evergreen trees of the genus Citrus having leathery evergreen leaves and widely cultivated for their juicy edible fruits having leathery aromatic rinds
citronwood - wood of a citron tree