citron(redirected from citrons)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A thorny evergreen shrub or small tree (Citrus medica) native to India and widely cultivated for its large lemonlike fruits that have a thick warty rind.
b. The fruit of this plant, whose rind is often candied and used in confections and fruitcakes.
2. A globose watermelon (Citrullus lanatus var. citroides) having white flesh that is candied or pickled.
3. A grayish-green yellow.
[Middle English, from Old French, alteration (influenced by limon, lemon) of Latin (mālum) citreum, citron (fruit), from citrus, citron tree.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a small Asian rutaceous tree, Citrus medica, having lemon-like fruit with a thick aromatic rind. See also citron wood
2. (Plants) the fruit of this tree
3. (Plants) Also called: citron melon a variety of watermelon, Citrullus vulgaris citroides, that has an inedible fruit with a hard rind
4. (Cookery) the rind of either of these fruits, candied and used for decoration and flavouring of foods
5. (Colours) a greenish-yellow colour
[C16: from Old French, from Old Provençal, from Latin citrus citrus tree]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a pale yellow fruit resembling the lemon but larger and with thicker rind borne by a small tree, Citrus medica, allied to the lemon and lime.
2. the tree itself.
3. the rind of the fruit candied and preserved.
[1375–1425; late Middle English < Middle French < Italian citrone < Latin citr(us) citrus + Italian -one augmentative suffix]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
See also related terms for lemon.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||citron - large lemonlike fruit with thick aromatic rind; usually preserved|
citrous fruit, citrus, citrus fruit - any of numerous fruits of the genus Citrus having thick rind and juicy pulp; grown in warm regions
|2.||citron - thorny evergreen small tree or shrub of India widely cultivated for its large lemonlike fruits that have thick warty rind|
citron - large lemonlike fruit with thick aromatic rind; usually preserved
citrus tree, citrus - any of numerous tropical usually thorny evergreen trees of the genus Citrus having leathery evergreen leaves and widely cultivated for their juicy edible fruits having leathery aromatic rinds
citronwood - wood of a citron tree
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007