city hall(redirected from city halls)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to city halls: GRCH
1. The building housing the administrative offices of a municipal government.
2. The municipal government, especially its officials considered as a group.
3. Slang An entrenched and insensitive bureaucracy, especially of a city: still trying to fight city hall.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the building housing the administrative offices of a city or municipal government
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) City Hall the building, located in Southwark and designed by Norman Foster, housing the headquarters of the Greater London Authority and London Mayor; opened in 2002
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) chiefly
a. municipal government
b. the officials of a municipality collectively
4. informal US bureaucracy
1. the administration building of a city government.
2. a city government.
3. Informal. bureaucratic rules and regulations, esp. of a city government: You can't fight city hall.