Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a clan.
2. Inclined to cling together as a group and exclude outsiders.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) of or characteristic of a clan
2. tending to associate closely within a limited group to the exclusion of outsiders; cliquish
1. pertaining to or characteristic of a clan.
2. inclined to associate exclusively with the members of one's own group; cliquish.
3. imbued with or influenced by the sentiments, prejudices, or the like, of a clan.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||clannish - characteristic of a clan especially in being unified; "clannish loyalty"|
joint - united or combined; "a joint session of Congress"; "joint owners"
|2.||clannish - befitting or characteristic of those who incline to social exclusiveness and who rebuff the advances of people considered inferior|
private - confined to particular persons or groups or providing privacy; "a private place"; "private discussions"; "private lessons"; "a private club"; "a private secretary"; "private property"; "the former President is now a private citizen"; "public figures struggle to maintain a private life"