Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Wikipedia.
v. clapped, clap·ping, claps
1. To strike the palms of the hands together with a sudden explosive sound, as in applauding.
2. To come together suddenly with a sharp sound.
1. To strike together with a sharp sound, as one hard surface on another: clapped a book on the desk.
2. To strike (the hands) together with an abrupt, loud sound, usually repeatedly: clapped hands in time to the music.
3. To strike lightly but firmly with the open hand, as in greeting: clapped me on the shoulder.
4. To put or place quickly and firmly: clapped the purse snatcher in jail; clapped a lid on the box.
5. To arrange hastily: clapped together a plan.
1. The act or sound of clapping the hands.
2. A sudden, loud, explosive sound: a clap of thunder.
3. A sharp blow with the open hand; a slap.
4. Obsolete A sudden stroke of fortune, especially of bad luck.
[Middle English clappen, from Old English clæppan, clappian, to throb, and from Old Norse klappa, to clap, pat.]
n. Vulgar Slang
Gonorrhea. Often used with the.
[Probably from obsolete French clapoir, bubo, from Old French clapier, brothel, from Old Provençal, rabbit warren, from clap, heap of stones, perhaps of Celtic origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||clapping - a demonstration of approval by clapping the hands together|
commendation, approval - a message expressing a favorable opinion; "words of approval seldom passed his lips"
hand - a round of applause to signify approval; "give the little lady a great big hand"
handclap - a clap of the hands to indicate approval
round - an outburst of applause; "there was a round of applause"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
clapping[ˈklæpɪŋ] n (= applause) → applaudissements mpl
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
clapping[ˈklæpɪŋ] n → applausi mpl
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995