claret(redirected from claretly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A dry red wine produced in the Bordeaux region of France.
b. A similar wine made elsewhere.
2. A dark or grayish purplish red to dark purplish pink.
[Middle English, light-colored wine, from Old French (vin) claret, diminutive of clair, clear, from Latin clārus; see clear.]
1. (Brewing) chiefly Brit a red wine, esp one from the Bordeaux district of France
a. a purplish-red colour
b. (as adjective): a claret carpet.
[C14: from Old French (vin) claret clear (wine), from Medieval Latin clārātum, from clārāre to make clear, from Latin clārus clear]
1. the dry red table wine produced in the Bordeaux region of France.
2. a similar wine made elsewhere.
3. Also called clar′et red′. a deep purplish red.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||claret - a dark purplish-red color|
dark red - a red color that reflects little light
|2.||claret - dry red Bordeaux or Bordeaux-like wine|
red wine - wine having a red color derived from skins of dark-colored grapes
Bordeaux wine, Bordeaux - any of several red or white wines produced around Bordeaux, France or wines resembling them
Saint Emilion - full-bodied red wine from around the town of Saint Emilion in Bordeaux
|Verb||1.||claret - drink claret; "They were clareting until well past midnight"|