Also found in: Legal, Idioms, Wikipedia.
n. pl. clas·ses (-ēz) Ecclesiastical
1. A governing body of pastors and elders in certain Reformed churches, having jurisdiction over local churches.
2. The district or churches governed by such a body.
[Latin, class of citizens; see class.]
(in some Reformed Churches) n, pl classes (ˈklæsiːz)
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a governing body of elders or pastors
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) the district or group of local churches directed by such a body
[C16: from Latin; see class]
n., pl. clas•ses (ˈklæs iz)
(in certain Reformed churches)
1. the organization of pastors and elders that governs a group of local churches; a presbytery.
2. the group of churches governed by such an organization.
[1585–95; < Latin: class]