Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. clat·tered, clat·ter·ing, clat·ters
1. To make a rattling sound.
2. To move with a rattling sound: clattering along on roller skates.
3. To talk rapidly and noisily; chatter.
To cause to make a rattling sound.
1. A rattling sound: the clatter of dishes in the kitchen.
2. A loud disturbance; a racket: the clatter of the subway train.
3. Noisy talk; chatter.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.