douche(redirected from cleansing douche)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. A stream of water, often containing medicinal or cleansing agents, that is applied to a body part or cavity for hygienic or therapeutic purposes.
b. A stream of air applied in a similar way.
2. The application of a douche.
3. An instrument for applying a douche.
4. Vulgar Slang A foolish or contemptible person.
v. douched, douch·ing, douch·es
To cleanse or treat by means of a douche.
To cleanse or treat oneself with a douche.
1. (Medicine) a stream of water or air directed onto the body surface or into a body cavity, for cleansing or medical purposes
2. (Medicine) the application of such a stream of water or air
3. (Medicine) an instrument, such as a special syringe, for applying a douche
4. slang a contemptible person
(Medicine) to cleanse or treat or be cleansed or treated by means of a douche
[C18: from French, from Italian doccia, pipe; related to Latin ductus duct]
1. a jet or current of water, sometimes with a dissolved medicating or cleansing agent, applied to a body part or cavity for medicinal or hygienic purposes.
2. the application of such a jet.
3. an instrument, as a syringe, for administering it.v.t.
4. to apply a douche to.v.i.
5. to use a douche; undergo douching.
[1675–85; < French < Italian doccia water pipe, back formation from doccione drainpipe < Latin ductiōnem, acc. of ductiō drawing off, conveying (water)]
Past participle: douched
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||douche - a small syringe with detachable nozzles; used for vaginal lavage and enemas|
syringe - a medical instrument used to inject or withdraw fluids
|2.||douche - irrigation with a jet of water or medicated solution into or around a body part (especially the vagina) to treat infections or cleanse from odorous contents|
irrigation - (medicine) cleaning a wound or body organ by flushing or washing out with water or a medicated solution
|Verb||1.||douche - direct a spray of water into a bodily cavity, for cleaning|
1. n. ducha, regadera;
2. lavado vaginal; irrigación;
v. tomar una ducha; ducharse.