cleavable(redirected from cleavablely)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to cleavablely: came into
v. cleft (klĕft) or cleaved or clove (klōv), cleft or cleaved or clo·ven (klō′vən), cleav·ing, cleaves
1. To split with a sharp instrument. See Synonyms at tear1.
2. To make or accomplish by or as if by cutting: cleave a path through the ice.
3. To pierce or penetrate: The wings cleaved the foggy air.
4. Chemistry To split (a complex molecule) into simpler molecules.
1. To split or be capable or splitting, especially along a natural line of division: Certain brittle woods cleave easily.
2. To penetrate or pass through something, such as water or air.
intr.v. cleaved, cleav·ing, cleaves
1. To adhere, cling, or stick fast.
2. To be faithful: cleave to one's principles.
[Middle English cleven, from Old English cleofian.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
cleav•a•ble(ˈkli və bəl)
capable of being split.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||cleavable - capable of being cleaved|
divisible - capable of being or liable to be divided or separated; "even numbers are divisible by two"; "the Americans fought a bloody war to prove that their nation is not divisible"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.