Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various herbs of the genus Trifolium in the pea family, having trifoliolate leaves and dense heads of small flowers and including species grown for forage, for erosion control, and as a source of nectar for honeybees.
2. Any of several other plants in the pea family, such as bush clover and sweet clover.
3. Any of several nonleguminous plants, such as water clover.
Living a carefree life of ease, comfort, or prosperity.
[Middle English, from Old English clāfre.]
1. (Plants) any plant of the leguminous genus Trifolium, having trifoliate leaves and dense flower heads. Many species, such as red clover, white clover, and alsike, are grown as forage plants
2. (Plants) any of various similar or related plants
3. (Plants) sweet clover another name for melilot
4. (Plants) pin clover another name for alfilaria
5. in clover informal in a state of ease or luxury
[Old English clāfre; related to Old High German klēo, Middle Low German klēver, Dutch klāver]
n., pl. -vers, (esp. collectively) -ver.
1. any of various plants of the genus Trifolium, of the legume family, having trifoliolate leaves and dense flower heads, many species of which are cultivated as forage plants.
2. any of various plants of allied genera, as melilot.Idioms:
in clover, luxuriating in a life of wealth and comfort.
[before 900; Middle English clovere, Old English clāfre; akin to Old Saxon klē, Old High German klēo]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||clover - a plant of the genus Trifolium |
lesser yellow trefoil, Trifolium dubium, hop clover, shamrock - clover native to Ireland with yellowish flowers; often considered the true or original shamrock
crimson clover, Italian clover, Trifolium incarnatum - southern European annual with spiky heads of crimson flower; extensively cultivated in United States for forage
purple clover, red clover, Trifolium pratense - erect to decumbent short-lived perennial having red-purple to pink flowers; the most commonly grown forage clover
dutch clover, shamrock, Trifolium repens, white clover - creeping European clover having white to pink flowers and bright green leaves; naturalized in United States; widely grown for forage
a plant with leaves in three parts, used as food for cattle etc. klawer بَرْسيم، نَفَل детелина trevo jetel der Klee kløver τριφύλλιtrébol ristikhein شبدر apila trèfeתלתן एक प्रकार का पौधा djetelina lóhere semanggi smári trifoglio クローバー 클로버 dobilas, dobilai āboliņš klover klaverkløverkoniczyna شوتل، شو تله (شبدر trevo trifoi клевер ďatelina detelja detelina klöver พันธุ์ไม้เตี้ยชนิดหนึ่ง ใช้เป็นอาหารของม้าและวัวควาย ใบมีสามแฉก yonca 三葉草 конюшина مویشیوں کی ایک خوراک cỏ ba lá 三叶草