Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to clumping: sperm clumping
1. A clustered mass; a lump: clumps of soil.
2. A thick grouping, as of trees or bushes.
3. A heavy dull sound; a thud.
v. clumped, clump·ing, clumps
1. To form lumps or thick groupings.
2. To walk or move so as to make a heavy dull sound.
To gather into or form lumps or thick groupings of.
[Probably Low German klump, from Middle Low German klumpe, cluster of trees.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||clumping - the sound of a horse's hoofs hitting on a hard surface|
sound - the sudden occurrence of an audible event; "the sound awakened them"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.