Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A small, strapless purse that is carried in the hand; a clutch.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. to seize with or as if with the hands or claws; snatch.
2. to hold tightly.
3. to spellbind; grip a person's interest or emotions.v.i.
4. to try to seize or grasp (usu. fol. by at): to clutch at a fleeing child.
5. to operate the clutch in a vehicle.n.
6. the hand, claw, etc., when grasping.
7. Often, clutches. power or control: to fall into the clutches of the enemy.
8. a tight grip or hold.
9. a device for gripping something.
a. a mechanism for engaging or disengaging a shaft that drives a mechanism or is driven by another part.
b. a pedal or other control for operating this.
11. a critical point or moment.
12. a woman's small strapless handbag.adj.
13. done in a critical situation: a clutch shot that won the game.
14. dependable in crucial situations: a clutch player.
[1175–1225; Middle English clucchen, variant of clicchen, Old English clyccan to clench]
n., v. clutched, clutch•ing. n.
1. a hatch of eggs; the number of eggs produced or incubated at one time.
2. a brood of chickens.
3. a number of similar things or individuals.v.t.
4. to hatch (chickens).
[1715–25; variant of dial. cletch; akin to Scots cleck to hatch]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||clutch bag - a woman's strapless purse that is carried in the hand|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
clutch bag, clutch purse (US)
n → Unterarmtasche f, → Tasche f → ohne Trageriemen
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
clutch bagn → pochette f inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995