Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. co·a·lesced, co·a·lesc·ing, co·a·lesc·es
1. To come or grow together into a single mass: the material that coalesced to form stars.
2. To come together as a recognizable whole or entity: the stories that coalesced as the history of the movement.
3. To come together for a single purpose: The rebel units coalesced into one army to fight the invaders. See Synonyms at mix.
1. To cause to coalesce as a single mass: The atoms were coalesced into a larger molecule.
2. To cause to coalesce as a single whole or entity: The survey responses were coalesced into a single document.
[Latin coalēscere : co-, co- + alēscere, to grow, inchoative of alere, to nourish; see al- in Indo-European roots.]
(intr) to unite or come together in one body or mass; merge; fuse; blend
[C16: from Latin coalēscere from co- + alēscere to increase, from alere to nourish]
v.i. -lesced, -lesc•ing.
1. to grow together or into one body.
2. to unite; join together: The various groups coalesced into one party.
3. to blend or come together: Their ideas coalesced into a new theory.
[1535–45; < Latin coalēscere=co- co- + alēscere to grow up, inchoative derivative of alere to nourish, make grow]
coalesce- Meaning "cause to grow together," it is from Latin co- and alere, "nourish."
See also related terms for nourish.
Past participle: coalesced
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||coalesce - mix together different elements; "The colors blend well"|
change integrity - change in physical make-up
gauge - mix in specific proportions; "gauge plaster"
absorb - cause to become one with; "The sales tax is absorbed into the state income tax"
meld, melt - lose its distinct outline or shape; blend gradually; "Hundreds of actors were melting into the scene"
mix in, blend in - cause (something) to be mixed with (something else); "At this stage of making the cake, blend in the nuts"
accrete - grow together (of plants and organs); "After many years the rose bushes grew together"
conjugate - unite chemically so that the product is easily broken down into the original compounds
admix - mix or blend; "Hyaline casts were admixed with neutrophils"
alloy - make an alloy of
|2.||coalesce - fuse or cause to grow together|