Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A sleeved outer garment extending from the shoulders to the waist or below.
b. See suit coat.
2. A natural outer covering, such as the fur of an animal or the enveloping layer of an organ.
3. A layer of material covering something else; a coating: a second coat of paint.
tr.v. coat·ed, coat·ing, coats
1. To provide or cover with a coat.
2. To cover with a layer, as of paint.
[Middle English cote, from Old French, of Germanic origin.]
1. covered with an outer layer, film, etc
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) (of paper) having a coating of a mineral, esp china clay, to provide a very smooth surface
3. (Textiles) (of textiles) having been given a plastic or other surface
4. (Photography) photog optics another word for bloomed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||coated - having a coating; covered with an outer layer or film; often used in combination; "coated paper has a smooth polished coating especially suitable for halftone printing"; "sugar-coated pills"|
uncoated - not having a coating; "uncoated paper"
|2.||coated - having or dressed in a coat|