Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. The loose back part of a coat that hangs below the waist.
2. coattails The skirts of a formal or dress coat.
on the coattails of
1. As a result of the success of another: elected to office on the coattails of a popular governor.
2. Immediately following or as a direct result of: resigned on the coattails of the scandal.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. the back of the skirt on a man's coat or jacket.
2. one of the two tails on a tail coat.adj.
3. gained by association with another: coattail benefits.Idioms:
1. on someone's coattails, aided by association with another person: The senator rode into office on the President's coattails.
2. on the coattails of, immediately after or as a direct result of.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coattail - the loose back flap of a coat that hangs below the waist|
coat - an outer garment that has sleeves and covers the body from shoulder down; worn outdoors
flap - any broad thin and limber covering attached at one edge; hangs loose or projects freely; "he wrote on the flap of the envelope"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.