Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A blue to green pigment consisting of a variable mixture of cobalt oxide and alumina.
2. A moderate to deep vivid blue or greenish blue.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Elements & Compounds) Also called: Thénard's blue any greenish-blue pigment containing cobalt aluminate, usually made by heating cobaltous sulphate, aluminium oxide, and phosphoric acid together
a. a deep blue to greenish-blue colour
b. (as adjective): a cobalt-blue car.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a blue to greenish blue color.
2. a pigment containing an oxide of cobalt.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cobalt blue - a shade of blue tinged with green|
|2.||cobalt blue - greenish-blue pigment consisting essentially of cobalt oxide and alumina|
pigment - dry coloring material (especially a powder to be mixed with a liquid to produce paint, etc.)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.