Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. The space in the fuselage of a small airplane containing seats for the pilot, copilot, and sometimes passengers.
b. The space set apart for the pilot and crew, as in a helicopter, large airliner, or transport aircraft.
2. The driver's compartment in a racing car.
3. A pit or enclosed area for cockfights.
4. A place where many battles have been fought.
a. A compartment in an old warship below the water line, used as quarters for junior officers and as a station for the wounded during a battle.
b. An area in a small decked vessel toward the stern, lower than the rest of the deck, from which the vessel is steered.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Aeronautics) the compartment in a small aircraft in which the pilot, crew, and sometimes the passengers sit. Compare flight deck1
2. (Motor Racing) the driver's compartment in a racing car
3. (Nautical Terms) nautical
a. an enclosed or recessed area towards the stern of a small vessel from which it is steered
b. (formerly) an apartment in a warship used as quarters for junior officers and as a first-aid station during combat
4. (Military) the site of numerous battles or campaigns
5. (Gambling, except Cards) an enclosure used for cockfights
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a usu. enclosed space in the forward fuselage of an airplane containing the flying controls, instrument panel, and seats for the pilot and copilot or crew.
2. a sunken open area in the aft of a small vessel, containing the steering wheel.
3. the space, including the seat and instrumentation, surrounding the driver of a racing car or sports car.
4. a pit or enclosed place for cockfights.
5. a place noted as the site of many battles.
6. (formerly) a space below the water line in a warship, occupied by the quarters of the junior officers and used as a dressing station for the wounded.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cockpit - compartment where the pilot sits while flying the aircraft|
aircraft - a vehicle that can fly
canopy - the transparent covering of an aircraft cockpit
compartment - a partitioned section, chamber, or separate room within a larger enclosed area
|2.||cockpit - a pit for cockfights|
pit - an enclosure in which animals are made to fight
|3.||cockpit - seat where the driver sits while driving a racing car|
seat - any support where you can sit (especially the part of a chair or bench etc. on which you sit); "he dusted off the seat before sitting down"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
حُجَيْرَةُ الطَّيّارغُرْفَةُ القِيَادَة
buồng lái máy bay
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a compartment in which the pilot of an aeroplane, driver of a racing-car etc sits. He climbed into the cockpit and drove off. stuurkajuit حُجَيْرَةُ الطَّيّار кабина (на пилот) cabine kabina pilota das Cockpit cockpit; førerkabine θάλαμοςcabina juhiruum, kokpit کابین ohjaamo cockpit תָּא הַטַייָס वायुयान में चालक स्थान pilotska kabina, kabina trkaćih kola pilótafülke kokpit stjórnklefi abitacolo, cabina 操縦室 조종실 kabina kabīne (pilota, sacīkšu autovadītāja) kokpit cockpitcockpit, førerkabinkabina ژور ځاى، سير پټى ژور ځاى، دالو تكى دچلونكى دكښينا ستو ځاى: دچرګانو دچنګو لو ځاى: په بيړۍ كى دټپيا نو ځاى: ژورغالى cabina carlingă кабина kokpit, kabína pilota pilotska kabina kabina cockpit, förarkabin, sittbrunn ที่นั่งคนขับ pilot yeri 駕駛艙 кабіна пілота جہاز میں پائلٹ کا کمرہ khoang lái 驾驶员座舱
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
cockpit→ غُرْفَةُ القِيَادَة kokpit cockpit Cockpit πιλοτήριο cabina lentokoneen ohjaamo cockpit pilotska kabina cabina di pilotaggio コックピット 조종실 cockpit cockpit kabina pilota cabina do piloto кабина cockpit ที่นั่งคนขับเครื่องบินหรือรถแข่ง kokpit buồng lái máy bay 驾驶舱
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009