Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The comb of a rooster.
2. The cap of a jester, decorated to resemble the comb of a rooster.
3. An annual plant (Celosia argentea) widely cultivated for its showy, fan-shaped or plumelike clusters of red or yellow flowers. Also called celosia.
4. Obsolete Variant of coxcomb..
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Zoology) the comb of a domestic cock
2. (Plants) an amaranthaceous garden or pot plant, Celosia cristata, with yellow, crimson, or purple feathery plumelike flowers in a broad spike resembling the comb of a cock
3. (Plants) any similar species of Celosia
4. informal a conceited dandy
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the comb or caruncle of a cock.
2. the cap, resembling a cock's comb, formerly worn by professional fools.
3. a garden plant, Celosia cristata, of the amaranth family with usu. crimson or purple flowers in a broad spike somewhat resembling the comb of a cock.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cockscomb - garden annual with featherlike spikes of red or yellow flowers|
|2.||cockscomb - a conceited dandy who is overly impressed by his own accomplishments|
|3.||cockscomb - a cap worn by court jesters; adorned with a strip of red|
cap - a tight-fitting headdress
|4.||cockscomb - the fleshy red crest on the head of the domestic fowl and other gallinaceous birds|
crest - a showy growth of e.g. feathers or skin on the head of a bird or other animal
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007