Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to coffee tree: Coffee plant
1. (Plants) any of several rubiaceous trees of the genus Coffea, esp C. arabica, the seeds of which are used in the preparation of the beverage coffee
2. (Plants) short for Kentucky coffee tree
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
cof•fee(ˈkɔ fi, ˈkɒf i)
1. a beverage consisting of a decoction or infusion of the roasted ground seeds (cof′fee beans`) of the two-seeded fruit (cof′fee ber`ry) of certain coffee trees.
2. the seeds or fruit themselves.
3. a tropical tree of the madder family that yields coffee beans, as Coffea arabica and C. canefora.
4. a cup of coffee.
5. a reception at which coffee and other refreshments are served: political coffees.
6. medium to dark brown.adj.
7. of a coffee color.
8. flavored with coffee.
[1590–1600; < Italian caffè < Turkish kahve < Arabic qahwah]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coffee tree - any of several small trees and shrubs native to the tropical Old World yielding coffee beans|
Arabian coffee, Coffea arabica - shrubby tree of northeastern tropical Africa widely cultivated in tropical or near tropical regions for its seed which form most of the commercial coffee
Coffea canephora, Coffea robusta, Rio Nunez coffee, robusta coffee - native to West Africa but grown in Java and elsewhere; resistant to coffee rust
tree - a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.