coil(redirected from coiler)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A series of connected spirals or concentric rings formed by gathering or winding: a coil of rope; long coils of hair.
b. An individual spiral or ring within such a series.
2. A spiral pipe or series of spiral pipes, as in a radiator.
a. A wound spiral of two or more turns of insulated wire, used to introduce inductance into a circuit.
b. Any of various devices of which such a spiral is the major component.
4. A roll of postage stamps prepared for use in a vending machine.
v. coiled, coil·ing, coils
1. To wind in concentric rings or spirals.
2. To wind into a shape resembling a coil.
1. To form concentric rings or spirals.
2. To move in a spiral course: black smoke coiling up into the sky.
[Probably from obsolete French coillir, to gather up, from Latin colligere; see collect1.]
A disturbance; a fuss.
1. to wind or gather (ropes, hair, etc) into loops or (of rope, hair, etc) to be formed in such loops
2. (intr) to move in a winding course
3. something wound in a connected series of loops
4. a single loop of such a series
5. an arrangement of pipes in a spiral or loop, as in a condenser
6. (Electronics) an electrical conductor wound into the form of a spiral, sometimes with a soft iron core, to provide inductance or a magnetic field. See also induction coil
7. (Gynaecology & Obstetrics) an intrauterine contraceptive device in the shape of a coil
8. (Automotive Engineering) the transformer in a petrol engine that supplies the high voltage to the sparking plugs
[C16: from Old French coillir to collect together; see cull]
the troubles and activities of the world (in the Shakespearean phrase this mortal coil)
[C16: of unknown origin]
1. to wind into continuous rings one above the other or one around the other.
2. to gather (rope, wire, etc.) into loops: Coil the garden hose and hang it up.v.i.
3. to form rings, spirals, etc.
4. to follow a winding course.n.
5. a series of spirals or rings into which something is wound: a coil of rope.
6. a single such ring.
7. an arrangement of pipes, coiled or in a series, as in a radiator.
8. a continuous pipe having inlet and outlet, or flow and return ends.
a. an electrical conductor, as a copper wire, wound up in a spiral or other form.
b. a device composed essentially of such a conductor.
11. a stamp issued in a rolled strip, usu. perforated vertically or horizontally only.
[1605–15; perhaps variant of cull]
1. a noisy disturbance; commotion.
2. trouble; ado.
[1560–70; orig. uncertain]
Coila series of rings; a selection; a spiral; connected pipes in rows or layers.
Examples: coil of hair, 1888; of hay, 1800; of lace, 1858; of lava, 1869; of men, women, and children, 1856; of proper men, 1574; of bubbling springs, 1816; of teal [in flight].
Past participle: coiled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coil - a structure consisting of something wound in a continuous series of loops; "a coil of rope"|
hank - a coil of rope or wool or yarn
|2.||coil - a round shape formed by a series of concentric circles (as formed by leaves or flower petals)|
corolla - (botany) the whorl of petals of a flower that collectively form an inner floral envelope or layer of the perianth; "we cultivate the flower for its corolla"
calyx - (botany) the whorl of sepals of a flower collectively forming the outer floral envelope or layer of the perianth enclosing and supporting the developing bud; usually green
round shape - a shape that is curved and without sharp angles
verticil - a whorl of leaves growing around a stem
|3.||coil - a transformer that supplies high voltage to spark plugs in a gasoline engine|
transformer - an electrical device by which alternating current of one voltage is changed to another voltage
|4.||coil - a contraceptive device placed inside a woman's womb|
|5.||coil - tubing that is wound in a spiral|
condenser - a hollow coil that condenses by abstracting heat
|6.||coil - reactor consisting of a spiral of insulated wire that introduces inductance into a circuit|
armature - coil in which voltage is induced by motion through a magnetic field
astatic coils - an arrangement of coils used in sensitive electrical instruments; the coils are arranged to give zero resultant external magnetic field when a current passes through them and to have zero electromotive force induced in them by an external magnetic field
choke, choke coil, choking coil - a coil of low resistance and high inductance used in electrical circuits to pass direct current and attenuate alternating current
field coil, field winding - the electric coil around a field magnet that produces the magneto motive force to set up the flux in an electric machine
induction coil - a coil for producing a high voltage from a low-voltage source
primary coil, primary winding, primary - coil forming the part of an electrical circuit such that changing current in it induces a current in a neighboring circuit; "current through the primary coil induces current in the secondary coil"
reactor - an electrical device used to introduce reactance into a circuit
read/write head, head - (computer science) a tiny electromagnetic coil and metal pole used to write and read magnetic patterns on a disk
secondary coil, secondary winding, secondary - coil such that current is induced in it by passing a current through the primary coil
solenoid - a coil of wire around an iron core; becomes a magnet when current passes through the coil
tickler coil - a small coil in series with the anode of a vacuum tube and coupled to the grid to provide feedback
|Verb||1.||coil - to wind or move in a spiral course; "the muscles and nerves of his fine drawn body were coiling for action"; "black smoke coiling up into the sky"; "the young people gyrated on the dance floor"|
turn - change orientation or direction, also in the abstract sense; "Turn towards me"; "The mugger turned and fled before I could see his face"; "She turned from herself and learned to listen to others' needs"
|2.||coil - make without a potter's wheel; "This famous potter hand-builds all of her vessels"|
|3.||coil - wind around something in coils or loops|
twine, wrap, wind, roll - arrange or or coil around; "roll your hair around your finger"; "Twine the thread around the spool"; "She wrapped her arms around the child"
uncoil - unwind or untwist
لَفّـه، إلْتِفافمِلَف،سِلْك مَعْدَنييَلْتَف عَلى
spóla; kefli; spírallvafningurvefja
1. (= roll) → rollo m; (= single loop) → vuelta f; [of hair] → rizo m; [of snake] → anillo m; [of smoke] → espiral f
B. VT → arrollar, enrollar
to coil sth up → enrollar algo
to coil sth round sth → enrollar algo alrededor de algo
to coil sth up → enrollar algo
to coil sth round sth → enrollar algo alrededor de algo
(of rope, wire etc) → Rolle f; (in light bulb) → Glühdraht m; (on loop) → Windung f; (of smoke) → Kringel m; (of hair) → Kranz m; she wore her hair in coils (round head) → sie hatte eine Gretchenfrisur; (round ears) → sie trug ihr Haar in Schnecken; the sinewy coils of the snake → die kraftvoll gespannte Spirale des Schlangenkörpers
(Elec) → Spule f
(= contraceptive) → Spirale f
vt → aufwickeln, aufrollen; wire → aufspulen, aufwickeln; to coil something round something → etw um etw wickeln; the python coiled itself around the rabbit/(up) in the basket → die Pythonschlange umschlang das Kaninchen/rollte sich im Korb zusammen
to wind into loops. The snake coiled (itself) round the tree. inmekaarkronkel, opdraai, krul يَلْتَف عَلى навивам enroscar ovinout se winden sno κουλουριάζω, κουλουριάζομαιenroscarse kerima پیچیدن kiertyä enrouler לִכרוֹך लपेटना namotati, omotati felteker menggulung vefja attorcigliarsi ぐるぐる巻く 코일 vynioti(s) satīt; saritināt; saritināties membelit kronkelen kveile/rulle/vikle (opp) owijać تاول enroscar-se a (se) înfăşura свёртываться кольцом ovinúť (sa) ovijati (se) obmotati ringla (slingra) sig ขดเป็นวง çöreklenmek 盤繞 згортати(ся) в кільце کنڈل بنانا ، بل بنانا۔ cuộn 盘绕noun
1. a length of something wound into a loop or loops. a coil of rope; a coil of hair. klos لَفّـه، إلْتِفاف намотка rolo role, kotouč; svitek die Rolle, die Locke rulle; ring σπείρα, κουλύρα rollo kera, kihar کلاف؛ حلقه kerä rouleauסליל वलयक, लपेट navoj, omot tekercs gulungan vafningur rotolo; crocchia １巻き (줄, 머리 등의) 한 가닥 vija, garbana ritulis; tinums gelung tros, vlechtkveil, ring, spiral zwój, lok حلقه rolo rulou; buclă виток; локон závit, prstenec zvitek namotaj slinga, ring, [hår]lock ขด (เชือกหรือสายยาง) bukle, halka (一)卷 кільце کنڈل ، بل ، پیچ cuộn （一）卷
2. a wound length of wire for conducting electricity. the coil in an electric fire. spiraal مِلَف،سِلْك مَعْدَني серпантина bobina cívka die Spule spiral πηνίοbobina pool سیم پیچ kela bobineסליל गुच्छा svitak tekercs(elés) kumparan listrik spóla; kefli; spírall bobina コイル 전선 spiralė, ritė spole segelung wayar spoelspolespirala, cewka سیم پیچی bobina bobină спираль cievka tuljava kotur spole, induktionsrulle ขดลวดซึ่งกระแสไฟไหลผ่าน elektrik teli 線圈 котушка برقی تار کا لچھا cuộn dây 线圈
n. espiral, serpentina, dispositivo intrauterino.