coke(redirected from coked)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
A trademark for a soft drink. See tonic.
The solid residue of impure carbon obtained from bituminous coal and other carbonaceous materials after removal of volatile material by destructive distillation. It is used as a fuel and in making steel.
tr. & intr.v. coked, cok·ing, cokes
To convert or be converted into coke.
[Perhaps from Middle English colk, core.]
coke 2(kōk) Slang
tr.v. coked, cok·ing, cokes
To affect or intoxicate with cocaine.
1. (Chemistry) a solid-fuel product containing about 80 per cent of carbon produced by distillation of coal to drive off its volatile constituents: used as a fuel and in metallurgy as a reducing agent for converting metal oxides into metals
2. (Chemistry) any similar material, such as the layer formed in the cylinders of a car engine by incomplete combustion of the fuel
to become or convert into coke
[C17: probably a variant of C14 northern English dialect colk core, of obscure origin]
(Recreational Drugs) slang short for cocaine
(Brewing) trademark short for Coca-Cola
1. (Biography) Sir Edward. 1552–1634, English jurist, noted for his defence of the common law against encroachment from the Crown: the Petition of Right (1628) was largely his work
2. (Biography) Thomas William, 1st Earl of Leicester, known as Coke of Holkham. 1752–1842, English agriculturist: pioneered agricultural improvement and considerably improved productivity at his Holkham estate in Norfolk
n., v. coked, cok•ing. n.
1. the solid carbonaceous product obtained by destructive distillation of coal: used chiefly as a fuel and reducing agent in metallurgy.v.t., v.i.
2. to convert into or become coke.
coke′like`, cok′y, adj.
n., v. coked, cok•ing. Slang. n.
2. to affect with a narcotic drug, esp. with cocaine (usu. fol. by up).
[1905–10, Amer.; short for cocaine]
Sir Edward, 1552–1634, English jurist.
Past participle: coked
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coke - carbon fuel produced by distillation of coal|
fuel - a substance that can be consumed to produce energy; "more fuel is needed during the winter months"; "they developed alternative fuels for aircraft"
|2.||Coke - Coca Cola is a trademarked cola|
|3.||coke - street names for cocaine|
|Verb||1.||coke - become coke; "petroleum oils coke after distillation"|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
a type of fuel obtained from coal. kook فَحْم الكوك кокс coque koks der Koks koks οπτάνθρακας, κοκ coque koks کک koksi coke קוֹקס कोक, कोयले से मिलने वाला एक तरह का इंधन koks koksz kokes kox coke, carbone coke コークス 코크스 koksas kokss kok cokeskokskoks كوك ( يوډول سكاره چه دډبرى دسكرو له تصفيى نه په لاس راځى carvão cocs кокс koks koks koks koks ถ่านหินที่เผาจนหมดควัน hava gazı 焦炭 кокс کوئلے سے حاصل ہونے والا ایندھن than cốc 焦炭