Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
col-(word root) with, together, in association
Examples of words with the root col-: collaboration
A low point along a ridge, as between two mountain peaks.
col(kɒl; French kɔl)
1. (Geological Science) the lowest point of a ridge connecting two mountain peaks, often constituting a pass
2. (Physical Geography) meteorol a pressure region between two anticyclones and two depressions, associated with variable weather
[C19: from French: neck, col, from Latin collum neck]
1. a pass or depression in a mountain range or ridge.
2. the region of relatively low pressure between two anticyclones.
[1850–55; < French < Latin collum neck]
var. of com- before l: collateral.
var. of colo- before a vowel: colectomy.
col- A saddle between two mountain peaks, from Latin collum, "neck."
See also related terms for saddle.
1. A natural pass in a mountain range.
2. The area of intermediate pressure that separates cyclones or depressions.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||col - a pass between mountain peaks|
mountain pass, notch, pass - the location in a range of mountains of a geological formation that is lower than the surrounding peaks; "we got through the pass before it started to snow"
water gap - a pass in a mountain ridge through which a stream flows
wind gap - a pass in a mountain ridge with no stream flowing through it