Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to colchicum: colchicine
1. Any of various bulbous plants of the genus Colchicum, such as the autumn crocus.
2. The dried ripe seeds or corms of the autumn crocus, both of which yield colchicine.
[Latin, autumn crocus (noted for its poisonous root), from Greek kolkhikon, from neuter of kolkhikos, of Colchis, from Kolkhis, Colchis (the home of the sorceress and poisoner Medea in Greek mythology).]
1. (Plants) any Eurasian liliaceous plant of the genus Colchicum, such as the autumn crocus
2. (Plants) the dried seeds or corms of the autumn crocus: a source of colchicine
[C16: from Latin, from Greek kolkhikon, from kolkhikos of Colchis]
col•chi•cum(ˈkɒl tʃɪ kəm, ˈkɒl kɪ-)
1. any Old World plant of the genus Colchicum, of the lily family, esp. the autumn crocus, C. autumnale.
2. the dried seeds or corms of this plant.
3. a medicine or drug prepared from these, used chiefly in the treatment of gout.
[1590–1600; < New Latin, Latin < Greek kolchikón meadow saffron <Kolchikós of Colchis, the plant being thought poisonous]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Colchicum - chiefly fall-blooming perennial cormous herbs; sometimes placed in family Colchicaceae|
liliid monocot genus - genus of monocotyledonous plants comprising mostly herbs having usually petaloid sepals and petals and compound pistils
family Liliaceae, Liliaceae, lily family - includes species sometimes divided among the following families: Alliaceae; Aloeaceae; Alstroemeriaceae; Aphyllanthaceae; Asparagaceae; Asphodelaceae; Colchicaceae; Convallariaceae; Hemerocallidaceae; Hostaceae; Hyacinthaceae; Melanthiaceae; Ruscaceae; Smilacaceae; Tecophilaeacea; Xanthorrhoeaceae