allergy(redirected from cold allergy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to cold allergy: Cold urticaria
n. pl. al·ler·gies
1. A condition in which exposure to a substance, such as pollen, latex, animal dander, or a particular food or drug, causes an overreaction by the immune system that results in symptoms such as sneezing, itching, rash, and difficulty breathing or swallowing.
2. Informal An adverse sentiment; antipathy: an allergy to cocktail parties.
n, pl -gies
1. (Pathology) a hypersensitivity to a substance that causes the body to react to any contact with that substance. Hay fever is an allergic reaction to pollen
2. informal aversion: he has an allergy to studying.
[C20: from German Allergie (indicating a changed reaction), from Greek allos other + ergon activity]
al•ler•gy(ˈæl ər dʒi)
n., pl. -gies.
1. an overreaction of the immune system to a previously encountered, ordinarily harmless substance, resulting in skin rash, swelling of mucous membranes, sneezing or wheezing, or other abnormal conditions.
2. Informal. a strong dislike or aversion: an allergy to hard work.
A condition in which exposure to a particular substance or environmental influence, such as pollen, certain foods, or sunlight, causes an abnormal physiological reaction. The reaction may include difficulty in breathing, sneezing, skin rashes, and in severe cases, shock or death.
Did You Know? Feeling miserable because of an allergic reaction? Perhaps you can find some comfort in the knowledge that the misery is an unhappy side effect of your immune system trying to protect you. The immune system recognizes that a particular substance, called an allergen (for example, dust, mold, or pollen), might be dangerous. Antibodies, special molecules whose job is to round up the invaders, charge into action. The immune system, however, can overreact, causing some people to be so sensitive to these outside substances that they develop unpleasant symptoms, such as rashes, runny noses, or even serious illness. People with severe symptoms can get a series of allergy shots that prevent or lessen the allergic reaction by training the immune system to accept the allergen. Oddly enough, many people develop allergies after repeated exposures to an allergen. The difference is that controlled, small exposures through shots prompt the immune system to grow accustomed to the allergen, while accidental, large exposures provoke the allergic reaction.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||allergy - hypersensitivity reaction to a particular allergen; symptoms can vary greatly in intensity|
food allergy - allergic reaction to a substance ingested in food
atopic allergy, atopy, immediate allergy, type I allergic reaction - an allergic reaction that becomes apparent in a sensitized person only minutes after contact
serum disease, serum sickness - a delayed allergic reaction to the injection of an antiserum caused by an antibody reaction to an antigen in the donor serum
delayed allergy, type IV allergic reaction - an allergic reaction that becomes apparent only hours after contact
hypersensitivity reaction - an inappropriate and excessive reaction to an allergen (as pollen or dust or animal hair or certain foods); severity ranges from mild allergy to severe systemic reactions leading to anaphylactic shock
1. sensitivity, reaction, susceptibility, antipathy, hypersensitivity, sensitiveness Food allergies result in many and varied symptoms.
2. (with to) (Informal) dislike of, hatred of, hostility to or towards, aversion to, loathing of, disgust of, antipathy towards, animosity towards, displeasure of, antagonism towards, distaste of, enmity towards, opposition towards, repugnance of, disinclination towards I developed an allergy to the company of couples.
sự dị ứng
allergy[ˈælədʒɪ] n → allergia
allergy(ˈӕlədʒi) – plural ˈallergies – noun
an unusual sensitiveness of the body which causes certain people to be affected in a bad way by something usually harmless. The rash on her face is caused by an allergy to grass. allergie حَسَاسِيَّة الجِسْم алергия alergia alergie die Allergie allergi αλλεργίαalergia allergia آلرژی؛ حساسیت allergia allergieאלרגיה एलर्जी, प्रत्यूर्जता alergija allergia alergi, kepekaan ofnæmi allergia アレルギー 알레르기 alergija alerģija allergi allergieallergiuczulenie حساسیت alergia. alergie аллергия alergia alergija alergija allergi อาการแพ้; โรคภูมิแพ้ alerji 過敏症 алергія; підвищена чутливість dị ứng 过敏症allergic (-ˈləː-) adjective
(with to) affected in a bad way by (certain) things. He is allergic to certain flowers. allergies مُصاب بِالحَسَاسِيَّة لِ алергичен alérgico alergický allergisch allergisk αλλεργικόςalérgico allergiline دارای حساسیت به allerginen allergique אָלֶרגִי एलर्जी होना alergijski allergiás alergi, peka með ofnæmi, ofnæmis- allergico アレルギーの 알레르기 체질을 가진 alergiškas alerģisks alah allergischallergiskuczulony حساسیتی alérgico alergic аллергический alergický alergičen alergičan allergisk แพ้; ที่ทำให้เกิดอาการแพ้ alerjik 過敏的 алергічний الٹا اثر، رد عمل dị ứng 过敏性的
allergy→ حَسَّاسِيَّة alergie allergi Allergie αλλεργία alergia allergia allergie alergija allergia アレルギー 알레르기 allergie allergi uczulenie alergia аллергия allergi อาการแพ้ alerji sự dị ứng 过敏症
delayed ___ → reacción alérgica retardada.