Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Immediate, complete withdrawal from something on which one has become dependent, such as an addictive drug.
1. Immediately and without gradual reduction of use: quit smoking cold turkey.
2. Frankly or directly; without mincing words: spoke to her staff cold turkey about the likelihood of layoffs.
[Probably from the serving of cold roast turkey as a dish needing no preparation .]
1. (Recreational Drugs) slang a method of curing drug addiction by abrupt withdrawal of all doses
2. (Recreational Drugs) the withdrawal symptoms, esp nausea and shivering, brought on by this method
1. abrupt and complete withdrawal from the use of an addictive substance, esp. a narcotic drug or nicotine.adv.
2. abruptly and completely: to withdraw cold turkey from a drug.
3. without preparation; impromptu.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cold turkey - a blunt expression of views; "I told him cold turkey"|
|2.||cold turkey - complete and abrupt withdrawal of all addictive drugs or anything else on which you have become dependent; "he quit smoking cold turkey"; "she quit her job cold turkey"|