Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to collage: college
an artwork created by pasting on a surface various materials such as magazine clippings, photographs, tickets, and other items not normally associated with each other
Not to be confused with:
college – an institution of higher learning
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
a. An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.
b. A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original material.
2. The art of creating such compositions.
3. An assemblage of diverse elements: a collage of conflicting memories.
v. col·laged, col·lag·ing, col·lag·es
To paste (diverse materials) over a surface, thereby creating an artistic product.
To create such an artistic product.
[French, from coller, to glue, from colle, glue, from Vulgar Latin *colla, from Greek kolla.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
collage(kəˈlɑːʒ; kɒ-; French kɔlaʒ)
1. (Art Terms) an art form in which compositions are made out of pieces of paper, cloth, photographs, and other miscellaneous objects, juxtaposed and pasted on a dry ground
2. (Art Terms) a composition made in this way
3. (Art Terms) any work, such as a piece of music, created by combining unrelated styles
[C20: French, from coller to stick, from colle glue, from Greek kolla]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a technique of composing a work of art by pasting on a surface various materials not normally associated with one another, as newspaper clippings or parts of photographs.
2. a work produced by this technique.
3. a film or other work that shifts suddenly or abruptly from one scene or image to another.
[1915–20; < French, =colle paste, glue (< Greek kólla) + -age -age]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. The combining of images from several photographs, usually rephotographing to provide a finished print.
2. A work of art created by attaching paper, wood, fabric, etc., onto a flat surface.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||collage - a paste-up made by sticking together pieces of paper or photographs to form an artistic image; "he used his computer to make a collage of pictures superimposed on a map"|
paste-up - a composition of flat objects pasted on a board or other backing; "they showed him a paste-up of the book jacket"
photomontage - a montage that uses photographic images
|2.||collage - any collection of diverse things; "a collage of memories"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
كولاج: مُلْصَق مِن عِدَّةِ قِطَع
collage[kɒˈlɑːʒ] N → collage m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
collage[kəˈlɑːʒ kɒˈlɑːʒ] n (ART) → collage m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Collage f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
collage[kɒˈlɑːʒ] n (Art) → collage m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a design made by pasting pieces of paper, cloth, photographs etc on to a surface. plakskildery كولاج: مُلْصَق مِن عِدَّةِ قِطَع колаж colagem koláž die Collage collage; montage κολάζcollage kollaaž کولاژ؛ تکه چسبانی kollaasi collage קוֹלָאג' कोलाज, कागज कपड़े इत्यादि के टुकड़ों से चित्र बनाने की कला kolaž kollázs kolase klippimynd collage コラージュ 콜라주 koliažas kolāža kolaj collagecollage kolaż کولاژ colagem colaj коллаж koláž lepljenka kolaž collage ศิลปการสร้างภาพจากชิ้นส่วนเล็กๆ ที่นำมาปะติดปะต่อกัน yapıştırma resim, kolaj 拼貼畫 колаж کولاژ ، نمونہ nghệ thuật cắt dán 拼贴画
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.