collage(redirected from collagists)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
an artwork created by pasting on a surface various materials such as magazine clippings, photographs, tickets, and other items not normally associated with each other
Not to be confused with:
college – an institution of higher learning
a. An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.
b. A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original material.
2. The art of creating such compositions.
3. An assemblage of diverse elements: a collage of conflicting memories.
v. col·laged, col·lag·ing, col·lag·es
To paste (diverse materials) over a surface, thereby creating an artistic product.
To create such an artistic product.
[French, from coller, to glue, from colle, glue, from Vulgar Latin *colla, from Greek kolla.]
collage(kəˈlɑːʒ; kɒ-; French kɔlaʒ)
1. (Art Terms) an art form in which compositions are made out of pieces of paper, cloth, photographs, and other miscellaneous objects, juxtaposed and pasted on a dry ground
2. (Art Terms) a composition made in this way
3. (Art Terms) any work, such as a piece of music, created by combining unrelated styles
[C20: French, from coller to stick, from colle glue, from Greek kolla]
1. a technique of composing a work of art by pasting on a surface various materials not normally associated with one another, as newspaper clippings or parts of photographs.
2. a work produced by this technique.
3. a film or other work that shifts suddenly or abruptly from one scene or image to another.
[1915–20; < French, =colle paste, glue (< Greek kólla) + -age -age]
1. The combining of images from several photographs, usually rephotographing to provide a finished print.
2. A work of art created by attaching paper, wood, fabric, etc., onto a flat surface.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||collage - a paste-up made by sticking together pieces of paper or photographs to form an artistic image; "he used his computer to make a collage of pictures superimposed on a map"|
paste-up - a composition of flat objects pasted on a board or other backing; "they showed him a paste-up of the book jacket"
photomontage - a montage that uses photographic images
|2.||collage - any collection of diverse things; "a collage of memories"|
كولاج: مُلْصَق مِن عِدَّةِ قِطَع
collage[kɒˈlɑːʒ] N → collage m
collage[kəˈlɑːʒ kɒˈlɑːʒ] n (ART) → collage m
n → Collage f
collage[kɒˈlɑːʒ] n (Art) → collage m inv
a design made by pasting pieces of paper, cloth, photographs etc on to a surface. plakskildery كولاج: مُلْصَق مِن عِدَّةِ قِطَع колаж colagem koláž die Collage collage; montage κολάζcollage kollaaž کولاژ؛ تکه چسبانی kollaasi collage קוֹלָאג' कोलाज, कागज कपड़े इत्यादि के टुकड़ों से चित्र बनाने की कला kolaž kollázs kolase klippimynd collage コラージュ 콜라주 koliažas kolāža kolaj collagecollage kolaż کولاژ colagem colaj коллаж koláž lepljenka kolaž collage ศิลปการสร้างภาพจากชิ้นส่วนเล็กๆ ที่นำมาปะติดปะต่อกัน yapıştırma resim, kolaj 拼貼畫 колаж کولاژ ، نمونہ nghệ thuật cắt dán 拼贴画