collet(redirected from collets)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A cone-shaped sleeve used for holding circular or rodlike pieces in a lathe or other machine.
2. A metal collar used in watchmaking to join one end of a balance spring to the balance staff.
3. A circular flange or rim, as in a ring, into which a gem is set.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Jewellery) (in a jewellery setting) a band or coronet-shaped claw that holds an individual stone
2. (Mechanical Engineering) mechanical engineering an externally tapered sleeve made in two or more segments and used to grip a shaft passed through its centre when the sleeve is compressed by being inserted in a tapered hole
3. (Horology) horology a small collar that supports the inner end of the hairspring
(Jewellery) (tr) jewellery to mount in a collet
[C16: from Old French: a little collar, from col neckband, neck, from Latin collum neck]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a collar or enclosing band.
2. the enclosing rim within which a gemstone is set.
3. a slotted cylindrical clamp inserted into the tapered interior of a sleeve or chuck on a lathe to hold a cylindrical piece of work.
[1520–30; < French col neck (< Latin collum)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: colleted
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||collet - a metal cap or band placed on a wooden pole to prevent splitting|
cap - something serving as a cover or protection
|2.||collet - a cone-shaped chuck used for holding cylindrical pieces in a lathe|
chuck - a holding device consisting of adjustable jaws that center a workpiece in a lathe or center a tool in a drill
|3.||collet - a band or collar that holds an individual stone in a jewelry setting|
band - a restraint put around something to hold it together
mounting - framework used for support or display
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.