Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
?Note: This page may contain content that is offensive or inappropriate for some readers.
1. Having color: colored tissue paper.
2. also Colored Often Offensive
a. Of or belonging to a racial group not categorized as white.
b. Black or African-American.
c. Of mixed racial descent.
3. often Coloured South African Of or belonging to a population grouping made up of persons of mixed racial descent or of certain other nonwhite descent, especially as distinguished during apartheid from blacks, Asians, or whites.
4. Distorted or biased, as by irrelevant or incorrect information.
n. pl. colored or coloreds
1. also Colored Offensive
a. A person belonging to a racial group not categorized as white.
b. A black person, especially an African American.
c. A person of mixed racial descent.
2. often Coloured South African A person belonging to the Coloured population grouping, especially during apartheid.
3. coloreds Pieces of laundry that are not light in color.
Usage Note: As a racial label, colored can simply mean nonwhite, but in the United States it has generally been restricted to persons of African descent. Though once a preferred term among black Americans, it lost favor as the 20th century progressed, and its use today is usually taken to be offensive. · In South Africa, where it is spelled Coloured, it has generally been used to refer to persons of mixed racial descent as opposed to those of unmixed black African, Asian, or European origin. Its use as an official ethnic label ended when apartheid was dismantled in 1991. See Usage Note at person of color.
1. having color.
2. Older Use: Usu. Offensive. belonging wholly or in part to a race other than the white, esp. to the black race.
3. Older Use: Usu. Offensive. pertaining to the black race.
4. influenced, biased, or distorted: colored opinions.n.
5. Older Use: Usu. Offensive.
a. (a term used to refer to a black person.)
b. (a term used to refer to black persons as a group.)
usage: See black.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||colored - a United States term for Blacks that is now considered offensive|
|Adj.||1.||colored - having color or a certain color; sometimes used in combination; "colored crepe paper"; "the film was in color"; "amber-colored heads of grain"|
|2.||colored - having skin rich in melanin pigments; "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People"; "dark-skinned peoples"|
black - of or belonging to a racial group having dark skin especially of sub-Saharan African origin; "a great people--a black people--...injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization"- Martin Luther King Jr.
|3.||colored - favoring one person or side over another; "a biased account of the trial"; "a decision that was partial to the defendant"|
partial - showing favoritism
|4.||colored - (used of color) artificially produced; not natural; "a bleached blonde"|