Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to colorist: Colourist
1. A painter skilled in achieving special effects with color.
2. A hairdresser who specializes in dyeing hair.
3. An artist who adds color and shading to black-and-white art, as in a graphic novel or comic book.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
col•or•ist(ˈkʌl ər ɪst)
1. a person who uses or works with color.
2. a hairdresser who colors women's hair.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
an artist who uses color or who is distinguished by the way in which he uses color.See also: Art
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.