Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to colza: colza oil
(Plants) another name for rape2
[C18: via French (Walloon) kolzat from Dutch koolzaad, from kool cabbage, cole + zaad seed]
n., v. raped, rap•ing. n.
1. the unlawful act of forcing a female to have sexual intercourse, as by physical attack or threats.
2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
4. an act of plunder or despoliation: the rape of the countryside.
5. Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.v.t.
6. to force to have sexual intercourse.
7. to plunder (a place); despoil.
8. to seize and carry off by force.v.i.
9. to commit rape.
[1250–1300; (v.) Middle English rapen < Anglo-French raper < Latin rapere to seize, carry off by force, plunder; (n.) Middle English < Anglo-French ra(a)p(e), derivative of raper]
rap′ist, rap′er, n.
a plant, Brassica napus, of the mustard family, whose leaves are used as fodder, and whose seeds yield rape oil.
[1350–1400; Middle English (< Middle French) < Latin rāpum (neuter), rāpa (feminine) turnip; c. Greek rhápys]
the residue of grapes, after the juice has been extracted, used as a filter in making vinegar.
[1590–1600; < French râpe]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||colza - Eurasian plant cultivated for its seed and as a forage crop|
mustard - any of several cruciferous plants of the genus Brassica
rapeseed - seed of rape plants; source of an edible oil