Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. com·bined, com·bin·ing, com·bines
1. To bring into a state of unity; make united: combined the ingredients in a bowl; combined the eggs and flour.
2. To join (two or more substances) to make a single substance, such as a chemical compound; mix.
3. To have, exhibit, or involve in combination: The choreography combines artistry and athletics.
4. (kŏm′bīn′) To harvest (a grain crop) using a cutting, threshing, and cleaning machine.
1. To become united: factors that combined to produce a storm.
2. To join together for a common purpose. See Synonyms at join.
3. Chemistry To form a compound.
4. (kŏm′bīn′) To harvest a grain crop using a cutting, threshing, and cleaning machine.
1. A power-operated harvesting machine that cuts, threshes, and cleans grain.
2. An association of people or groups united for the furtherance of political or commercial interests.
3. A combination.
[Middle English combinen, from Old French combiner, from Late Latin combīnāre : Latin com-, com- + bīnī, two by two; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
the process or an act of combining two or more things
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||combining - an occurrence that results in things being united|
union - the occurrence of a uniting of separate parts; "lightning produced an unusual union of the metals"
recombination - (genetics) a combining of genes or characters different from what they were in the parents
recombination - (physics) a combining of charges or transfer of electrons in a gas that results in the neutralization of ions; important for ions arising from the passage of high-energy particles
consolidation - combining into a solid mass
|2.||combining - the act of combining things to form a new whole|
change of integrity - the act of changing the unity or wholeness of something
confusion - an act causing a disorderly combination of elements with identities lost and distinctions blended; "the confusion of tongues at the Tower of Babel"
commixture, mixing, intermixture, mix, admixture, mixture - the act of mixing together; "paste made by a mix of flour and water"; "the mixing of sound channels in the recording studio"
fusion - the act of fusing (or melting) together
interspersal, interspersion - the act of combining one thing at intervals among other things; "the interspersion of illustrations in the text"
temperance - the act of tempering
jointure, uniting, unification, conjugation, union - the act of making or becoming a single unit; "the union of opposing factions"; "he looked forward to the unification of his family for the holidays"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.