Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to comity: comity of nations
n. pl. com·i·ties
1. An atmosphere of social harmony.
2. See comity of nations.
3. Law The principle by which a court in one jurisdiction defers to a court in another jurisdiction where either would have legal power to decide the case, or gives effect to the laws, executive acts, or legal decisions of another jurisdiction.
n, pl -ties
1. mutual civility; courtesy
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) short for comity of nations
3. (Theology) the policy whereby one religious denomination refrains from proselytizing the members of another
[C16: from Latin cōmitās, from cōmis affable, obliging, of uncertain origin]
com•i•ty(ˈkɒm ɪ ti)
n., pl. -ties.
1. mutual courtesy; civility.
2. Also called com′ity of na′tions. courtesy between nations, as in respect shown by one country for the laws and institutions of another.
[1535–45; < Latin cōmitās=cōm(is) affable + -itās -ity]
amity.See also: Agreement, Relationship
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||comity - a state or atmosphere of harmony or mutual civility and respect|
concordance, concord, harmony - a harmonious state of things in general and of their properties (as of colors and sounds); congruity of parts with one another and with the whole
comity of nations - courteous respect by one nation for the laws and institutions of another